Low sexual performance is a major concern for some men. It is linked to several factors, including low testosterone, depression, chronic illness, sleep problem, aging, low self-esteem, etc.
Having a low sex drive isn’t necessarily a problem. However, if you wish to increase your libido and improve your sex life, there are a range of methods you can try out.
Below, we have handpicked some effective ways to boost your libido, get your sex life back on track, and make your partner look forward to having sex with you.
What is Low Libido?
In layman’s terms, low libido is simply a decreased interest in sexual acts. People lose interest in sex, which is normal. But, low libido for a long time isn’t something one will want to boast of as it may result in issues for some people.
Of course, low libido isn’t often associated with loss of interest in sexual activities. Sometimes, it could be a result of an underlying health condition. If you are experiencing low libido, here are some potential causes of your predicament.
Causes of Low Libido in Men
1. Low Testosterone: Estrogen and progesterone are the major sex hormones in women. In men, it is testosterone. Testosterone is responsible for male features like facial hair and body muscle. This sex hormone is also linked to your sex drive and sperm production. In light of this fact, it is safe to say that a drop in your testosterone levels can result in low libido.
2. The side effect of medication: Medications are designed to combat symptoms of diseases.However, you should note that some of these medications come with side effects like low libido in men. Some common drugs that may affect your sex drive are:
Common over-the-counter drugs like Tagamet can also result in low libido when taken for too long. Consider changing or stopping suspected drugs (this may reverse the condition) to boost your libido. You could as well make little changes to your dosage. Ensure you talk to your physician before making any move.
3. Depression: Depression is a common cause of low libido in men and women. When depressed, people often lose interest in enjoyable activities, including sex.
While antidepressants are ideal for treating depression, they can end up aggravating your sex drive issues. If you are on an antidepressant, consider talking to your doctor to reduce your dose.
4. Chronic Illness: Severe illnesses like arthritis, cancer, diabetes, kidney failure, heart disease affect your sex drive. This is often due to the chronic pain and fatigue associated with these illnesses, which end up making sexual intercourse difficult or less desirable. Talk to your doctor. He may proffer a solution if your low sex drive results from chronic sickness.
So you have understood some of the causes of low libido in men. Next, we’ll be looking at how to boost your sex drive.
1. Manage your anxiety
Do you often get anxious? If yes, you may be prone to palpitations, chest pain, and low libido. Having high levels of anxiety can affect your sexual drive. Anxiety can also make it hard to attain or maintain an erection, which is key to your sex life. If you are experiencing high levels of anxiety, these tips may help.
- Practice good sleep hygiene
- Eat well
- Talk to a therapist
- Improve your relationship
2. Improve relationship quality
A relationship isn’t often rosy. Couples will experience little quarrels at some points in their marriage, including a break in sexual desire and frequency. The break could result from a spouse’s absence or the feeling that things aren’t going well in the intimate relationship. When these things happen, the effect could reflect on your sex life. Try to improve your relationship to increase your partner’s sex drive. You can do this by:
- Setting quality time for each other
- Doing activities together outside of the bedroom
- Planning date nights
3. Increase your testosterone level
As said earlier, testosterone is the major sex hormone in men responsible for male features like facial hair and body muscle. It is also linked with a man’s sex drive. If you are suffering from low testosterone levels, the chances are that your sex drive will be affected. To fix this, you will have to boost testosterone levels.
Of course, there are several ways to do this. You could either engage in exercises, eat protein, fat and carbs, or take testosterone supplements. The benefits of testosterone supplements range from increased muscle strength and physical endurance, denser, stronger bones, etc. A good dose of testosterone supplement can also help boost your testosterone levels and improve your sex drive.
4. Sleep well
Getting quality sleep comes with several therapeutic benefits. Aside from boosting your immune system, strengthening your heart, and preventing weight gain, quality sleep can help improve your overall mood and energy levels, which has a crucial role in your sex life. Ensure you get enough sleep to improve your libido.
5. Focus on foreplay
A poor sexual experience can result in a low libido for both men and women. To spice up your sexual experience and increase your partner’s desires for sex, prioritize foreplay.
Foreplay, also known as outercourse, is an erotic stimulation that happens before sex. It involves touching, kissing, and performing oral sex on your partner to enhance the sexual experience.
While foreplay may not be a big deal for most men, it is for women. Based on research, only 18% of women orgasm from sex alone, while 33.6% of women report that foreplay involving the stimulation of their clitoris is needed for them to orgasm.
Cases of men finding it difficult to sexually satisfy their wives are quite common. And one of the reasons for this can be associated with low libido. Low libido can affect your sex life and relationship as a whole. If you are experiencing issues in your relationship due to your inability to please your partner in bed, the tips above will help you turn the tide. Ensure you contact your doctor if symptoms include painful sex and high blood pressure.