Skin Care is related to the overall health of our body which is no different from the food we eat or the time we take to workout to maintain a healthy weight. So, many of us prefer not to use synthetic fragrances and potentially harmful ingredients and try to opt for organic skincare products.
Reasons to choose organic skincare products over a conventional one
- The reason is the same as food because we choose organic food over any conventional food products. The reason behind this type of selection is to limit exposure to hazardous chemicals to your health and planet.
- Our skin absorbs much of what is put on it, and there is thousands of evidence which proves that ingredients like parabens, phthalates, and other synthetic fragrances cause myriad problems. It can cause endocrine disruption to allergic reactions to sensitivity to chemicals. So, if we opt for organic skincare products that contain organic ingredients, you can filter out the potential sideeffects of irritants and toxins present in products.
How to choose your organic skincare products?
You must be thinking about how we need to choose organic skincare products and avoid harmful ingredients. Here is the quick list of harmful ingredients to avoid and why:
- The most common ingredients in most of the skin products are parabens, triclosan, and phthalates are really harmful and can cause endocrine disruption.
- Sulfates, especially sodium lauryl/Laureth sulfate causes skin irritation. SLS has been linked to major skin irritants.
- Petrochemicals are known to clog pores.
- Ethoxylated ingredients containing 1,4-dioxane contamination and can be a potential carcinogen.
- Synthetic colourants which are derived from petroleum and coal tar are linked to behavioural issues.
- Synthetic fragrances are highly allergic.
There are a lot of emerging organic skin-care products and brands in the market today. Although they have indicated that their products are organic, it’s still worth taking a closer look at the ingredients they use—and even their sustainability.
Being organic goes beyond just using natural ingredients. An organic skin-care brand should guarantee that their ingredients and any other material for production are non-toxic to humans and the planet. Their way of sourcing and recycling materials are sustainable, and their testing process does not include animal testing or harming animals.
When choosing your organic skin-care products, a brand that stays true to its promise of being organic will be transparent about all the components of their products and even their work on sustainability. You’ll want an organic skincare brand that cares for its customers and for the earth and will only produce the best products for both.
How to switch to organic skincare and where to start?
It’s better to start from your body because the skin of your body from the neck down constitutes 91 per cent that gets exposed to skin-care products. So, if you are considering switching to organic skin care products, start with the skin of your body.
- One easy way to change is moving from a body to organic bar soap because body wash comes in a plastic bottle and also contains foaming agents like SLS which can be irritating or dehydrating.
- Consider using cold-process organic soap made with skin-nourishing oils which hydrate and moisturise skin.
After cleansing, how to keep your skin well moisturised throughout the day?
- Instead of using body lotion; switch to body oil. By using high-quality body oil on sopping-wet skin, you will provide water and seal it with gorgeous natural oils!
If you can’t leave your body lotion then opt for organic body lotion. Read the label and avoid the following ingredients:
- Emulsifying wax
- FD&C colours
Whatever you choose body oil or an organic lotion, to have better results exfoliate your skin once a week, you can try dry brushing or use a natural salt or sugar scrub. Gently remove the dead skin layer and your skin will be more receptive to nourishing oils and it will readily absorb nutrients.
Best organic skincare routine for the face
The total skin’s surface area is 4.5 per cent of your skin, but this small per cent area represents your whole body with which you greet the world every day. So, you need to give extra attention to your face. To find the best face care products requires patience and persistence. Try having a skin type approach can help you to get glowing and flawless skin
Organic skincare required for Normal skin
You are a lucky person if you have normal skin because you don’t struggle with redness, acne, breakouts, reactions, dullness or dryness. A basic skin-care routine can work for normal skin which involves cleansing, moisturising and sun protection. Exfoliate weekly once which helps healthy turnover of the skin and allow products to penetrate easily.
Natural ingredients to opt for normal skin:
- Aloe vera gel for tightening the skin
- Squalene for treating fine lines and wrinkles
- Jojoba oil for scars and pigmentation
- Zinc oxide as SPF
- The essential oil of lavender, geranium and carrot seed
Organic skin-care required for acne-prone skin
If your skin gets shiny after two to three hours of washing your face, it means the activity of your sebaceous glands is overactive. If sebum gets trapped in the pores then the pores become infected and inflamed. To treat this problem we must start to address the root cause of the problem by taking care of the diet, managing hormonal Imbalance, and avoiding stress. After this, you can select topical products to address this issue
Natural ingredients to opt for acne-prone skin:
- Dead sea mud helps to remove impurities
- Honey helps to brighten the complexion
- Activated charcoal helps to remove blackheads and whiteheads
- Cumin seed oil
- Rosehip oil helps to treat acne scars and hyperpigmentation
- Essential oils of thyme, tea tree, lavender and cajeput
Organic skincare required for dry and dehydrated skin
Your skin might be dry or dehydrated due to many reasons it can be because of sun damage, diet or age-related changes. The key is to stay hydrated and keep your electrolytes balanced, consume fresh vegetables, eat plenty of healthy fats which is obtained from avocados, hemp seeds, or fish. Pro-tip is to moisturize your skin when it is still damp to lock moisture in your skin.
Natural ingredients to opt for dry or dehydrated skin:
- Aloe vera helps to heal dry and irritated skin
- Hyaluronic acid draws moisture to the skin
- Mango butter helps to balance oil and water in the skin
- Sea buckthorn
- Borage seed oil
- The essential oil of sandalwood, carrot seed and frankincense.